One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of insects that comprises the beetles (including weevils), forming the largest order of animals on the earth.
- ‘The most speciose insect orders like the Coleoptera, Diptera and Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies) tend to have small genome sizes with very few or no exceptions.’
- ‘Diets of little brown myotis and eastern pipistrelles were highly diverse, consuming an even proportion of six orders of insects including Coleoptera, Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Homoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Tricoptera.’
- ‘To date, 10 insect orders, Homoptera, Heteroptera, Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Diptera, Odonata, Isoptera, Orthoptera, and Dictyoptera, have been recorded to be hosts of Cordyceps species.’
- ‘The leaf mining habit is known to have evolved only in four extant orders of insects: the Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera and Lepidoptera.’
- ‘In contrast, for most insect orders including the Coleoptera, none or only a few sequences have been described to date.’
- 1.1 Insects of the order Coleoptera; beetles.‘coleoptera are very sensitive to changes in wetness’
- ‘Interestingly, protuberances on the hairy pads of Coleoptera, Dermaptera, and Diptera belong to different types of cuticular outgrowths.’
- ‘Abundance of Wilson's Warblers, however, was significantly positively correlated with number of Hymenoptera, Diptera, and Coleoptera captured on sticky traps, but unrelated to number of Homoptera captured.’
- ‘For example, the coleoptera Tenebrio molitor belongs to the holometabolous insects, a monophyletic group that includes Diptera and Lepidoptera.’
- ‘The main predator taxa were spiders, coleoptera, centipedes, and ants.’
- ‘The common House Centipede, Scutigera coleoptera, shown in the image, belongs to this group.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek koleopteros, from koleos ‘sheath’ + pteron ‘wing’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.