Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A spell of cold weather over a wide area.
- ‘What we look for is, is there a pattern where there's more heat waves than there are cold waves over a number of years?’
- ‘As a month-long cold wave hammered parts of India, Bangladesh and Nepal, it is the poor who fared the worst in the daily fight against dropping temperatures.’
- ‘Thankfully, I am going to escape the worst of the cold wave, since I will be in Pune and Konkan during the first week of January.’
- ‘‘The cold wave which killed countless animals such as horses, sheep and goats was terribly sad and harsh for the nomads,’ she said.’
- ‘‘There will be more rains and after two days a cold wave will enter the region, making things more difficult for the people,’ Muhammad Hanif told reporters.’
- ‘The current cold wave is just in time for St. Paul's annual Winter Carnival, where workers last night were putting the finishing touches on the ice palace.’
- ‘He sells his car to get into the ‘magic gloves’ business, which booms at first due to an unexpected cold wave in Buenos Aires.’
- ‘Bangladesh is being hit by a cold wave across the country.’
- ‘About 150 people reportedly died in a cold wave last winter at this camp.’
- ‘While the US news media has provided ample coverage of the near-record cold wave, very little is being said this winter about the loss of lives and suffering among those forced to live on the streets.’
- ‘But will the severe cold wave in North India have any bearing on, say, Bangalore?’
- ‘A cold wave has gripped Baghdad, leaving 16 children dead from exposure.’
- ‘Also, I have a lot of plants that grow great 360 days a year, but one devastating cold wave might freeze them.’
- ‘Argentine Labor Ministry officials are intervening to end a strike of natural gas workers, claiming that the strike is creating shortages during a cold wave in central Argentina.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the brief showers coupled with a cold wave witnessed during the last week was quick enough to become ‘a matter of the past.’’
- ‘This morning is was dry, but because of the very early cold wave, very slippery too.’
2A kind of permanent wave for the hair created by applying chemicals at room temperature.
- ‘Cold waves were now used instead of Marcelle waves.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.