One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A frame with a glass top in which small plants are grown and protected without artificial heat.
- ‘You will learn from experience as you try to grow some of the less common and more difficult primroses that you may have to keep a number of the species in a shaded cold frame rather than try to plant them in the garden itself.’
- ‘If you want to extend the harvest even longer into fall, protect young plants with row covers or cold frames.’
- ‘Sow seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost date in your area; or sow on the surface of a sandy soil mix in an open cold frame in early spring.’
- ‘Sow seeds of herbaceous perennials and alpine plants in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse.’
- ‘According to our thermometers, this combination was not as protective as cold frames covered with glass, but the plants didn't seem to notice.’
- ‘In areas where the winter temperatures are likely to drop below 32°F, pots can be kept cool in a trench in the garden or in a cold frame structure, but it's important to keep pots from freezing.’
- ‘I constructed two cold frames for growing lettuce and carrots.’
- ‘Propagation is usually from semi-ripe cuttings with a heel planted in a cold frame in late summer.’
- ‘Spread them out to dry and then rub between the fingers to separate the seed, plant immediately and germinate and grow on in a cold frame.’
- ‘Now's a good time to think about growing seedlings, and a great place to grow them is in a cold frame.’
- ‘Hollow pipes attached to the inside wall and spaced regularly along raised beds double as support posts for spring and fall season-extending cold frames or summer trellises for vine crops’
- ‘After he determined the cold frame's final size, Ray bought a few sheets of 1/2-inch plywood.’
- ‘Ventilation - On sunny days in the early fall, it's easy for temperatures within cloches and cold frames to go up more than 20 degrees over ambient temperatures.’
- ‘Check greenhouses and cold frames for lost, loose or broken glass, repair them as soon as possible in order to conserve heat and protect plants from draughts.’
- ‘And in winter I never have a lettuce salad unless I've been far-sighted enough to plant in the cold frame.’
- ‘Bulbs forced inside or grown in cold frames in portable containers can easily be placed into large, outdoor containers at flowering time.’
- ‘You may transplant to large pots, a cold frame, or your garden using soil which is fertile and rich.’
- ‘I wasn't sure I could get plants through the winter and restarted into growth with only a cold frame in my current garden.’
- ‘In a colder climate you may want to have a shaded cold frame available.’
- ‘A gardening neighbor had a small cold frame in which she grew hardy flowers for early and late blooms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.