Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounNorth American
Slices of cold cooked meats.
- ‘The most simple dish was a plate of chorizo, ham and cheese, an assortment of cold cuts garnished with pickles.’
- ‘Then he made himself a snack of three packs of cold cuts, a loaf of bread, half a kilo of jalapeno-jack cheese, and two liters of milk, before heading down to the sub-basement for some tactical exercises.’
- ‘An interesting selection of cold cuts included jelly fish with sesame, pork knuckle and beef.’
- ‘Try salty, spicy or smoked meats, such as ham, sausage, cold cuts or wieners.’
- ‘Before heading out to dinner, the recruits waited for the Auburn coaches in the hotel lobby, where a spread of shrimp, cheeses, cold cuts and fruits awaited.’
- ‘Stuff wheat bread with lean cold cuts such as turkey, ham or roast beef, then add tomatoes, lettuce and peppers to give your child a healthy serving of vegetables.’
- ‘In the meat category, fish and beans were less popular, while cheese, meat, poultry, hot dogs, and cold cuts were among the foods regularly consumed.’
- ‘Next is a cold section with a ham salad, a garden salad, ham and salami cold cuts, and an egg salad.’
- ‘Roast beef, ham, turkey; any cold cuts were well within his ability.’
- ‘The Italian sandwich filled with cold cuts is a ‘hero’ in New York, a ‘hoagie’ in Philadelphia and a ‘sub’ in Washington.’
- ‘Researchers studying both pre-menopausal and post-menopausal women found the former group had a higher incidence of cancer when they ate processed meats including cold cuts, hot dogs and bacon.’
- ‘Once I've completed that, I move onto setting out snacks onto a platter for them to eat during their ‘cuts’ in filming, crackers, cheese, cold cuts, just your usual things.’
- ‘Listeria, which can cause fatal blood poisoning, miscarriages in pregnant women and meningitis, is believed to spread through ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs, luncheon meats or cold cuts.’
- ‘Serve cooked vegetables with beef or chicken fondue (as above) or with cold cuts such as ham, salami and cheese and bread.’
- ‘Decisions, decisions: an extra hour of riding, or steak instead of cold cuts?’
- ‘Pork products such as bacon, ham, spare ribs, chops, and various cold cuts are also favorites of the Romanians.’
- ‘Well mom happened to be my teacher so she made me a sandwich using her stash of cold cuts.’
- ‘These are found mostly in meat and dairy products such as full-fat milk, yogurt, beef and cold cuts.’
- ‘These studies also have documented an association between ready-to-eat foods (e.g., hot dogs and cold cuts from delicatessen counters) and listeriosis.’
- ‘A restaurant should be required to post a warning when their roast beef dip is made with cheap cold cuts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.