One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cosmetic preparation used for cleansing and softening the skin.
lotion, cream, balm, emollient, salve, unguent, lubricantView synonyms
- ‘The latest travesty in jazzed up cold cream will make your skin ‘happier’.’
- ‘Many a woman gets by with a plain jar of cold cream.’
- ‘Divers rummaging here have found bottles of cold cream, canisters of celluloid photographic film, silver salt cellars, printing stamps, shaving kits and lead soldiers.’
- ‘Anything petroleum based (vaseline, hand lotion, cold cream, other things) will very quickly dissolve little holes in the latex of a condom and can make it break.’
- ‘Paul, have you used any cold cream or make-up remover to take that stuff off?’
- ‘Removing the makeup was quick-it came right off with cold cream.’
- ‘Professional make-up can be hard to apply and even harder to remove - the best method is frequently old-fashioned cold cream, such as Pond's Cold Cream cleanser, followed by a gentle toner such as Neutrogena's Alcohol-Free Toner.’
- ‘Faces were gleaming with cold cream and you tootled off to your allocated shelter in the pitch dark, and before you got there the ‘all clear’ went.’
- ‘Stage a production on your bathroom countertop to make stars out of dull extras, such as soaps, cotton balls, and cold cream.’
- ‘She applied cold cream to her face and washed the white make-up off, and then she undid her hair from the bun.’
- ‘Stella's only response is to apply more cold cream.’
- ‘In addition to the aforementioned miracle cream, I have also been putting cold cream on before I go to bed and in a last ditch effort to moisturize from the inside out, I have taken to drinking about 20 glasses of water a day.’
- ‘For those in a rush, you can always remove the day's make-up and grime with cold cream, then softly exfoliate the face with a baby's soft toothbrush.’
- ‘Every winter in Pune, my skin would go dry and I would have to apply vaseline or some cold cream to my lips and face.’
- ‘The reports identified a number of daunting problems the firm would have to face in its efforts to sell cold cream abroad.’
- ‘Our first view of her couldn't be less flattering, appearing as she does with face covered in cold cream, hair taped back, and cigarette in hand.’
- ‘You can also take any white skin cream you have on hand - cold cream will do - and mix in enough red pepper to turn it pink.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.