Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chisel used for cutting metal.
- ‘A hand cold chisel with a 7/8-inch bit made out of 3/4-inch octagon beryllium was manufactured.’
- ‘Many paleontologists carry a geologist's hammer or masonry hammer; rock slabs may be split with this hammer, with this hammer and a cold chisel, or with a stiff-bladed putty knife, depending on their hardness.’
- ‘Failing that, use a hacksaw or hammer and cold chisel to cut through it.’
- ‘Use a cold chisel and mason's hammer (sometimes called an engineer's or hand-drilling hammer) to carefully break the damaged tile into as many pieces as necessary to remove it.’
- ‘Using a cold chisel and club hammer, chip away the tile, starting in the middle.’
- ‘Taking off plaster can damage the surface of bricks - soft ones are especially vulnerable - so work carefully with a hammer and cold chisel.’
- ‘Lacking the special wrenches required to remove the bolts that held the wings on, the dockworkers had employed cold chisels on the bolt heads.’
- ‘You'll need the following tools: a utility knife, hammer, cold chisel, hacksaw, flat pry bar, aviation snips, Phillips screwdriver (or a cordless drill/driver), pliers, sanding block and 4-and 8-in. drywall knives.’
- ‘Using a hammer and a small cold chisel, crack the tile between the holes and pry it away from the wall.’
- ‘My question is: what damage will the heating of the frame have done and are the small bumps in the tubing from the cold chisel a problem when hammered flat?’
- ‘Use a cold chisel and a hand-drilling hammer to undercut the edges so the hole is wider at the bottom than it is at the driveway surface.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.