One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellow compound present in the corms of colchicums, used to relieve pain in cases of gout.
- ‘Medical treatment with agents such as corticosteroids, colchicine, penicillamine, and ursodeoxycholic acid has not been shown to retard progression of liver disease.’
- ‘The Goodwins compare the episode to the rise, fall, and resurrection of such treatments as giving the plant extract colchicine for the pain of gout.’
- ‘Examples include the analgesics morphine and codeine, the antibiotic sanguinarine, the gout suppressant colchicine, and the muscle relaxant (+) tubocurarine.’
- ‘The reduction of pain in the study joint was consistent between monoarticular and polyarticular gout and across subgroups defined by concomitant use of allopurinol, colchicine, or both.’
- ‘Sivagnanam wonders if our patients settled because of the residual effect of the previously administered high dose colchicine that we had stopped; we only reintroduced colchicine, however, if the gout was not settling or was worsening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.