One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A helical spring made from metal wire.
- ‘The electrode, which delivers the 150-volt electrical charge to the primer, looks remarkably like a conventional, percussion-type firing pin, but without a coil spring wrapped around it.’
- ‘The internal firing pin propelled by a coil spring provided an ultra-fast locktime in a period when competing lever-actions still carried heavy external hammers that were a relic of the muzzleloading era.’
- ‘Angioplasty involves the insertion of a balloon and the implementation of a stent, which is a flexible coil spring used to support the arteries.’
- ‘The Great Western II has the standard flat main spring but incorporates a coil spring for the hand.’
- ‘Witchger's patent was for an improvement in the drum, where a coil spring and a casing constituted a tape controller enabling the concavo-convex tape ribbon to retract into the drum.’
- ‘When released by the gun's mechanical triggers, the coil spring strikers trip a rocker that impacts the firing pin.’
- ‘The design incorporates a cradle-type frame with an offset coil spring and lower transverse links.’
- ‘Birds have nested in many strange places but few as unusual as the top of a coil spring on a Toyota 4 x 4 Land Cruiser, writes Denis Daly.’
- ‘The barrel shape of the coil spring offers a smaller height with an increased working length thereby providing a larger tolerance between the high voltage terminal and the spark plug head.’
- ‘First the front leaf spring has been dropped in favour of a new coil spring, shock absorber and radius arm setup that anchors the axle to the frame but also adds a second pivot point.’
- ‘I almost have it completely rebuilt but for the coil spring for the big lever.’
- ‘The biggest change for the 2002 Judy SL is the use of a single-sided coil spring (in the left leg), with the new Air Assist feature.’
- ‘Elevated by a simple coil spring, the leaf is click adjustable via a click adjustable elevation screw.’
- ‘A coil spring around the vertical rod and under the end of the lever provided back pressure.’
- ‘Besides exhaust systems, Faller sees other potential applications for Ti on vehicles - including coil springs, driveshafts, brake caliper pistons and door intrusion beams.’
- ‘Durango's suspension is a new-design independent set-up in the front, and a solid rear axle suspended by coil springs rather than the less-smooth leaf springs of the previous generation Durango.’
- ‘The Explorer now rides on a four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs all around.’
- ‘Flat springs were replaced by coil springs in 1908.’
- ‘This instrument consists of a band of aluminium that encircles the tree trunk and is held in place by a coil spring.’
- ‘Then the hook, powered by its coil spring, moves right to the bottom of the extraction groove for full engagement and more positive extraction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.