Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A helical spring made from metal wire.
- ‘A coil spring around the vertical rod and under the end of the lever provided back pressure.’
- ‘The design incorporates a cradle-type frame with an offset coil spring and lower transverse links.’
- ‘The electrode, which delivers the 150-volt electrical charge to the primer, looks remarkably like a conventional, percussion-type firing pin, but without a coil spring wrapped around it.’
- ‘When released by the gun's mechanical triggers, the coil spring strikers trip a rocker that impacts the firing pin.’
- ‘Angioplasty involves the insertion of a balloon and the implementation of a stent, which is a flexible coil spring used to support the arteries.’
- ‘Durango's suspension is a new-design independent set-up in the front, and a solid rear axle suspended by coil springs rather than the less-smooth leaf springs of the previous generation Durango.’
- ‘Elevated by a simple coil spring, the leaf is click adjustable via a click adjustable elevation screw.’
- ‘I almost have it completely rebuilt but for the coil spring for the big lever.’
- ‘Witchger's patent was for an improvement in the drum, where a coil spring and a casing constituted a tape controller enabling the concavo-convex tape ribbon to retract into the drum.’
- ‘The Great Western II has the standard flat main spring but incorporates a coil spring for the hand.’
- ‘Besides exhaust systems, Faller sees other potential applications for Ti on vehicles - including coil springs, driveshafts, brake caliper pistons and door intrusion beams.’
- ‘This instrument consists of a band of aluminium that encircles the tree trunk and is held in place by a coil spring.’
- ‘Flat springs were replaced by coil springs in 1908.’
- ‘Birds have nested in many strange places but few as unusual as the top of a coil spring on a Toyota 4 x 4 Land Cruiser, writes Denis Daly.’
- ‘The biggest change for the 2002 Judy SL is the use of a single-sided coil spring (in the left leg), with the new Air Assist feature.’
- ‘Then the hook, powered by its coil spring, moves right to the bottom of the extraction groove for full engagement and more positive extraction.’
- ‘First the front leaf spring has been dropped in favour of a new coil spring, shock absorber and radius arm setup that anchors the axle to the frame but also adds a second pivot point.’
- ‘The barrel shape of the coil spring offers a smaller height with an increased working length thereby providing a larger tolerance between the high voltage terminal and the spark plug head.’
- ‘The Explorer now rides on a four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs all around.’
- ‘The internal firing pin propelled by a coil spring provided an ultra-fast locktime in a period when competing lever-actions still carried heavy external hammers that were a relic of the muzzleloading era.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.