Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A Central American palm whose nut is a valuable source of oil.
- ‘The growth rate of the cohune palm can be increased significantly with regular fertilizer applications.’
- ‘The cohune forest gives way to the riverine forest along river shorelines, where vast amounts of water are found year-round from excessive rain and from the flooding rivers.’
- ‘Vegetation of the Lowlands Subregion is primarily low to high marsh forest, with restricted patches of deciduous seasonal forest and cohune forest.’
- ‘The latest appearance of Vulture Lake; quite lovely and already mature; cohunes everywhere.’
- ‘The former is set in a garden of cohunes, tall, leafy palms that line the pathways, providing shade.’
- 1.1The oil-rich nut of the cohune palm.
- ‘The cohune nut features prominently in his work but he also uses shell, cow horn and different types of wood.’
- ‘A family in Flowers Bank Village, Belize breaks the cohune nut for Cohune oil production Family in Isabella Bank, Belize beating Cohune nut for oil production Miriam conducting PEN interview with family in Flowers Bank Village, Belize Miriam (far left) training assistant during an interview on a landowner's farming practices.’
- ‘However, the high point in cohune nut exports was during World War I, as cohune nuts were used in making the charcoal filters in gas masks during this war.’
- ‘The cohune nut was an important part of the Maya diet.’
- ‘This large rodent makes lots of noise while walking through the dry leaves of the forest or while chewing on the hard shells of the cohune nut, one of its favorite foods.’
Mid 18th century: from Miskito.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.