One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two medicinal plants native to North America.
(also 'black cohosh') a plant of the buttercup family, with small white flowers ("Cimicifuga racemosa", family "Ranunculaceae").
(also 'blue cohosh') a plant of the barberry family ("Caulophyllum thalictroides", family "Berberidaceae").
- ‘Black cohosh should not be confused with the blue cohosh herb (also known as Caulophyllum thalictroides), which is used for different indications and has a greater potential for toxicity.’
- ‘Research on natural hormone-like phytoestrogenic compounds - isoflavones - that are found in soy, red clover, black cohosh, etc., suggests that these ‘plant hormones’ can slow bone loss.’
- ‘Herbs which research has confirmed to have potent estrogenic influence include black cohosh, red clover and alfalfa.’
- ‘Some of the herbs that are listed as ingredients include damiana, chaste tree, black cohosh and saw palmetto.’
- ‘You should take dietary supplements like folic acid before and during pregnancy but avoid some herbal supplements (like blue cohosh in the firs two trimesters).’
Late 18th century: from Eastern Abnaki.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.