One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An early form of radio detector consisting of a glass tube loosely filled with metal filings whose bulk electrical resistance decreased in the presence of radio waves.
- ‘The earliest transmissions used spark gaps to make the radio waves, and magnetic detectors, and coherers to detect them.’
- ‘The coherer, however, had several defects in that it was not very sensitive and was difficult to adjust.’
- ‘For the coherer to be ready to detect a new pulse of energy, conduction had to be stopped by jarring the granules.’
- ‘The coherer was very finicky and unreliable in operation, so there was a vigorous search for an alternative.’
- ‘The tapper then ceases to function and the coherer is ready for the next wireless signal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.