One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An early form of radio detector consisting of a glass tube loosely filled with metal filings whose bulk electrical resistance decreased in the presence of radio waves.
- ‘The tapper then ceases to function and the coherer is ready for the next wireless signal.’
- ‘The earliest transmissions used spark gaps to make the radio waves, and magnetic detectors, and coherers to detect them.’
- ‘The coherer, however, had several defects in that it was not very sensitive and was difficult to adjust.’
- ‘For the coherer to be ready to detect a new pulse of energy, conduction had to be stopped by jarring the granules.’
- ‘The coherer was very finicky and unreliable in operation, so there was a vigorous search for an alternative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.