One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mental representation of one's physical environment.
- ‘Without literary traditions, rural folk share elaborate cognitive maps with others through the use of toponyms that give geographic orientations.’
- ‘Behavioral systems also appear to possess some type of schematic representation or cognitive map of the environment in which the organism lives.’
- ‘In the first case, the animal perceives (or possesses a cognitive map of) all habitat within a certain radius prior to each move, and then selects a point based on that perception.’
- ‘Do the animals have a cognitive map of their home range, and if so what sort of map is it?’
- ‘Native communities have maintained cognitive maps that are delineated verbally using place names that convey place and spatial orientations.’
- ‘Spreading-activation theory proposed that individuals have cognitive maps that organize and store all acquired knowledge, beliefs, and experiences.’
- ‘How, if an animal has a cognitive map, could one distinguish between the behavior produced by such a map and the behavior produced by observable stimulus-response associations?’
- ‘These animals have cognitive maps (spatial patterns) of where food has been stored.’
- ‘As I have noted, one of his important contributions to animal learning was the concept of a cognitive map.’
- ‘A social-scientific systems analysis provides a thick description based on the cognitive maps of how people in Palestine believed their universe worked.’
- ‘Both governments have a cognitive map of the world that is tacitly assumed in all their actions but rarely articulated.’
- ‘It frequently happens that the real world evolves faster than an animal's cognitive map of it.’
- ‘In the case of research on cognitive maps, it would appear that animals such as rats and dogs have some ability to represent space to the extent that they can take novel paths that lead more directly to reward.’
- ‘This 20 feet made all the crucial psychic difference on immigrants' cognitive maps.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.