One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of thinking deeply about something; contemplation.‘Sorry, did I interrupt your cogitation?’
thought, thinking, contemplation, consideration, mulling over, meditation, study, deliberation, pondering, reflection, rumination, musing, speculation, brooding, agonizing, worrying, puzzlingView synonyms
- ‘All of his mental power was concentrated in the depths of cogitation, with little to spare for the superficies of observation.’
- ‘I'll do some cogitation and some preparation and some meditation also, and see if I can't come up with my own top five guilty pleasure songs.’
- ‘What or how do animals think, if they think, and if they do not, then what shapes do their cogitations take?’
- ‘The public mind - though in a sense a fiction to describe the individual cogitation of three hundred million individuals - is a powerful reality.’
- ‘More important, though, were his continued and inspired cogitations on the confederation's beleaguered finances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.