One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of thinking deeply about something; contemplation.‘Sorry, did I interrupt your cogitation?’
thought, thinking, contemplation, consideration, mulling over, meditation, study, deliberation, pondering, reflection, rumination, musing, speculation, brooding, agonizing, worrying, puzzlingView synonyms
- ‘What or how do animals think, if they think, and if they do not, then what shapes do their cogitations take?’
- ‘I'll do some cogitation and some preparation and some meditation also, and see if I can't come up with my own top five guilty pleasure songs.’
- ‘The public mind - though in a sense a fiction to describe the individual cogitation of three hundred million individuals - is a powerful reality.’
- ‘More important, though, were his continued and inspired cogitations on the confederation's beleaguered finances.’
- ‘All of his mental power was concentrated in the depths of cogitation, with little to spare for the superficies of observation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.