Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of thinking deeply about something; contemplation.‘Sorry, did I interrupt your cogitation?’
thought, thinking, contemplation, consideration, mulling over, meditation, study, deliberation, pondering, reflection, rumination, musing, speculation, brooding, agonizing, worrying, puzzlingView synonyms
- ‘All of his mental power was concentrated in the depths of cogitation, with little to spare for the superficies of observation.’
- ‘I'll do some cogitation and some preparation and some meditation also, and see if I can't come up with my own top five guilty pleasure songs.’
- ‘What or how do animals think, if they think, and if they do not, then what shapes do their cogitations take?’
- ‘The public mind - though in a sense a fiction to describe the individual cogitation of three hundred million individuals - is a powerful reality.’
- ‘More important, though, were his continued and inspired cogitations on the confederation's beleaguered finances.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.