Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of thinking deeply about something; contemplation.‘Sorry, did I interrupt your cogitation?’
thought, thinking, contemplation, consideration, mulling over, meditation, study, deliberation, pondering, reflection, rumination, musing, speculation, brooding, agonizing, worrying, puzzlingcerebrationView synonyms
- ‘The public mind - though in a sense a fiction to describe the individual cogitation of three hundred million individuals - is a powerful reality.’
- ‘I'll do some cogitation and some preparation and some meditation also, and see if I can't come up with my own top five guilty pleasure songs.’
- ‘More important, though, were his continued and inspired cogitations on the confederation's beleaguered finances.’
- ‘What or how do animals think, if they think, and if they do not, then what shapes do their cogitations take?’
- ‘All of his mental power was concentrated in the depths of cogitation, with little to spare for the superficies of observation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.