One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cup, typically a small one, in which coffee is served.
- ‘She fiddled with the plastic spoon that was stranded in her coffee cup and smiled ruefully.’
- ‘Albert bangs down his coffee cup with schoolboyish enthusiasm.’
- ‘Deirdre turned away, her smile evident and walked away to wash the coffee cup.’
- ‘He folds the newspaper, and takes the coffee cup out of my hand, resting it with a clink on the table in front of us.’
- ‘The dainty coffee cup was dwarfed by his thick fingers, like a piece from a child's tea set.’
- ‘Jim glanced at his coffee cup, asking himself if another cup would be too many this early.’
- ‘Our visitor appeared startled at this information but on recovering his composure took his coffee cup and sat down at the table.’
- ‘The girl gave him a look over the rim of her coffee cup that would have wilted a sunflower.’
- ‘He secured the lid to his coffee cup and latched the cup to the arm of his chair with a magnetic clamp.’
- ‘The ‘tank’ for this water must be about the size of a coffee cup, because it always seems to be empty.’
- ‘Leander's lips winced as they felt the sharp bite of heat from the coffee cup.’
- ‘Somehow we managed to reach the top of the stairs without incident, neither I, nor my coffee cup, took a tumble.’
- ‘Right now, I have a new coffee cup just begging to be broken in with a hot cup of Joe.’
- ‘Once the coffee is hot, pour about a third of it into the coffee cup to warm it up and return the pan to the heat.’
- ‘His eyes darted to the old coffee cup from a few days ago sitting in the cup holder.’
- ‘When you place your order the cashier marks a coffee cup with your order and places it into the queue.’
- ‘If all she has to do is fill a coffee cup and pass it over the counter to you, you don't have to tip her.’
- ‘Quickly, as if expecting him to get up and leave, she pushed the coffee cup towards him and pulled out her notebook and pencil.’
- ‘The coffee cup was warm in her hands.’
- ‘She turned her attention back to her coffee cup and mumbled something into the rim.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.