One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cake or sweet bread flavoured with cinnamon or topped or filled with cinnamon sugar, eaten usually with coffee.
- ‘I had a large bag of walnuts left over from another Nancy recipe experience: the walnut coffee cake that didn't cook all the way through.’
- ‘Breakfast, as per her request, consisted of butter streusel coffee cake.’
- ‘The coffee cake they sent us home with was just the thing for breakfast the next morning.’
- ‘The end result looks more like a coffee cake than a bread.’
- ‘‘Take some cake instead,’ said Eloise sweetly, offering him some of her coffee cake.’
- ‘I'd predict that scents like coffee cake and Belgian waffles would be popular for general home fragrancing.’
- ‘I made a blueberry tart yesterday and we have a blueberry coffee cake cooling down as we speak.’
- ‘If it's anything like all of those Sunday School Teacher Appreciation breakfasts I attended growing up, there will be plenty of sour cream coffee cake for everyone.’
- ‘The resulting cake was simply wonderful, fine-crumbed and moist, and reminded me a lot of the coffee cakes I like to make.’
- ‘I reached across the table and grabbed a piece of the coffee cake.’
- ‘They fill their plates with slices of lavender-scented pound cake, streusel-topped coffee cake, lemon buttermilk bundt cake, and a rich chocolate cake.’
- ‘There were coffee cakes, Popsicles and peanut butter cookies.’
- ‘Whenever I've had relationships that are solely sexual, they've crumbled faster than a dry coffee cake.’
- ‘You might, for example, make a coffee cake with chocolate in it.’
- ‘Praise was showered upon me for the cardamom coffee cake, challah, rolls, pesto pizza, etc…’
- ‘She thanked the old lady for her wonderful coffee cake and for letting her stay in her house to wait for Andrew.’
- ‘The blueberry-cream cheese coffee cake is worth making up for with a lighter lunch or dinner, I can assure you.’
- ‘Ann took a fancy to the coffee cake but was worried that it might have been dry.’
- ‘And if there is still room for sweets, the restaurant offers a wide range of cakes: cheese, apple, fruit, marble and coffee cake.’
- ‘With New Jersey blueberries selling for 99 cents at my local grocery store, I've been making coffee cake with blueberries in it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.