Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short break during the working day, during which people typically drink a cup of coffee or tea.
- ‘About the second night I rode with him, we took a coffee break.’
- ‘All the staff were willing to talk well into their hard-earned coffee break!’
- ‘The proceedings of the Ladies Club have come to a halt for a coffee break.’
- ‘I was able to show it during a coffee break.’
- ‘I'm just taking time out for a coffee break.’
- ‘I decided a short coffee break was what the situation suggested.’
- ‘This is a bit of trivia for your coffee break.’
- ‘My imaginary software company was going to have coffee breaks with free donuts every hour.’
- ‘In fact, at coffee break, there were about five people sitting there.’
- ‘Don't lunch privately or take coffee breaks with the same person all the time.’
- ‘Each session will include a tea / coffee break.’
- ‘Staff members can lounge outdoors on a balcony during coffee breaks.’
- ‘The two men were having their daily midmorning coffee break.’
- ‘The keynote speeches were followed by a coffee break.’
- ‘A good American friend asked me the question some time ago in the middle of a coffee break with friends.’
- ‘The first part of the conference (up to the morning coffee break) was devoted to reports of unusual experiences in everyday life.’
- ‘Some fit in by shooting the breeze during extended coffee breaks.’
- ‘Austrian city dwellers often take a midafternoon coffee break at a national institution, the coffeehouse.’
- ‘For example, save the coffee break or quick bite for later.’
- ‘A casual conversation at a coffee break in South Africa is shaking up agricultural research throughout the developing world.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.