Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bar or cafe serving coffee and light refreshments.
- ‘The coffee bar was reopened on Monday last week after experts carried out checks for refrigeration leaks and testing for chemical contamination.’
- ‘People are quite used to popping into a coffee bar when they need to go these days.’
- ‘Work will begin on a new church that will seat around 800 people and include a coffee bar.’
- ‘Vienna's polite coffee house society is in open revolt over plans to turn one of the city's most prestigious cafes into an Italian-style coffee bar.’
- ‘It has a lecture theatre, two studio classrooms, a shop, a coffee bar and a restaurant.’
- ‘That's the kiosk, which shouldn't be confused with the cafe, coffee bar or restaurant, which are on the first, first and third floors, not in that order.’
- ‘Now, of course I wanted to appear as sophisticated as I really was to this small-town girl, so I suggested we find a coffee bar to sit in and talk.’
- ‘Recently, I overheard a conversation in an LA coffee bar between two women, their faces set in the mask of permanent surprise which afflicts the surgically-enhanced.’
- ‘He looks up, a little startled, his eyes a piercing blue - but within moments of me introducing myself, he's leading me off to the station coffee bar for a cappuccino.’
- ‘Davis' building will be transformed into mixed space with offices and residential units combined, and perhaps a coffee bar on the ground floor.’
- ‘The developers were keen to secure a coffee bar and traditional restaurant for the remaining units.’
- ‘He had travelled the world, worked in Europe, run a coffee bar in Holland and then developed a passion and love for India.’
- ‘Kelli glanced at her watch and started for the coffee bar.’
- ‘There is a cherished notion of insights shared at the coffee bar or water cooler spawning new technologies, marketing campaigns or simply great ideas.’
- ‘A full-service coffee bar has everything from espresso to hot chocolate, as well as appetizers.’
- ‘Onboard facilities include a coffee bar, café, bar, children's playroom and promenade deck.’
- ‘The proposed health and leisure centre will feature a beautician's studio, a coffee bar, gym, jacuzzi, saunas and changing areas.’
- ‘Butler's cafe has raised the coffee bar to super-latte levels, and the chocolate truffles are worthy of a place in bonbon heaven.’
- ‘The purpose of the change to a coffee bar or cafe is given as ‘enhancing existing library services’.’
- ‘This was once Nicholson's, for 10 years the best coffee bar and restaurant in the area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.