One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, expensive, lavishly illustrated book, intended especially for casual reading.
- ‘The models selected by media from around the globe will feature in a coffee-table book to be published this autumn.’
- ‘This is not quite a coffee-table book, and not quite a read-through book.’
- ‘It looked fantastic, as if prepared for a coffee-table book on cocktails, but quite apart from aesthetics and taste, it delivered the kick of a young mule.’
- ‘The coffee-table book is filled with rich, annotated photographs of everyday items that accompanied Terry on his run.’
- ‘Well, even if you happen to be fixated on one life in particular, be it Einstein or Frank Sinatra, you can find a coffee-table book with a pictorial biography of your hero.’
- ‘The coffee-table book tends to emphasize pictures over text, with a dazzling number and variety of colorful images but only a modest amount of often-mediocre text.’
- ‘The book itself is very pretty and would make a lovely coffee-table book - if you're not hung up with silly things like dignity or self-respect that is.’
- ‘The subsequent Rastafarian transformation of this Jewish artist and harmonica player is recalled with sensitivity in his beautiful coffee-table book.’
- ‘The DVD package is accompanied by a hardcover coffee-table book plus a whole raft of soundtrack CDs.’
- ‘The photograph is of a 16th century Aberdeenshire farmhouse, taken for a coffee-table book of interiors in 1986.’
- ‘He gave me a coffee-table book about the 60s mod scene and there are shots of gigs at the Marquee I know I was at.’
- ‘It is not exactly a coffee-table book, but anyone reading this book will inevitably spend hours gazing through the wonderful photographs.’
- ‘Her assignment from the publisher must have been to do a coffee-table book - one of those tomes that, if it had legs, would be a table.’
- ‘It's gorgeously produced and illustrated; not too large for your lap, but in all other ways this is a coffee-table book.’
- ‘I'd been lusting after this book for months, but it was very difficult to justify buying what is essentially a coffee-table book for fifty quid.’
- ‘It is not a coffee-table book, nor is it a comprehensive reference work - and it clearly is not intended as either.’
- ‘It will be designed as a coffee-table book, with photographs and illustrations representing Bangalore in all its diversity.’
- ‘Whether this text is considered an art book or a coffee-table book, people can generate discussions by looking at these pictures.’
- ‘The 9 x 12-inch format; large, crisp, widely spaced text; and high-quality semiglossy images give it more the appearance of a coffee-table book than a serious textbook.’
- ‘Every shot should be a full-page photo in a coffee-table book, and if you flip through them fast enough, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.