One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural coelomata, Plural coelomsZoology
The principal body cavity in most animals, located between the intestinal canal and the body wall.
- ‘The coelom extends into the rays, where the gonads are located.’
- ‘In mellitids, the intestine is separated from the rest of the coelom by a well-defined wall of the peripheral ballast system.’
- ‘The ophiuroid coelom is strongly reduced, particularly in comparison to other echinoderms.’
- ‘Flatworms are unsegmented, bilaterally symmetrical worms that lack a coelom but that do have three germ layers.’
- ‘Except in leeches, the coelom is partially subdivided by septa.’
Late 19th century: from Greek koilōma ‘cavity’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.