Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of manuscripts and their interrelationships.
- ‘This seminar provides students with a firm foundation in the discipline of codicology and introduces them to the cultural history of the medieval book.’
- ‘A fairly brief introduction provides a basic description of the manuscript, concentrating on its codicology and production.’
- ‘Hebrew handwritten books may indeed serve as a useful means for devising a comparative codicology and paleography.’
- ‘Students taking this subject will study textual criticism; the elements of codicology and paleography; and examples of the major European bookhands in the Middle Ages.’
- ‘For the Medieval Studies M.A. students can take the class on How to Describe a Medieval Manuscript, which gives an introduction to transcription and codicology.’
1950s: from French codicologie, from Latin codex, codic- (see codex).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.