One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of several disputes between Britain and Iceland in the period 1958–76, concerning fishing rights in waters around Iceland.
- ‘One of the few twentieth-century wars to produce an unambiguous victor was the Icelandic cod war.’
- ‘This triggered a cod war with British fishermen, who were excluded, without further ado, from a traditional fishing area.’
- ‘Relations between Britain and Iceland reached crisis point during a series of ‘cod wars’ in the 1960s.’
- ‘He had been thrown out of work following the cod wars and eventually became a victim of the failing industry.’
- ‘It followed a long and difficult campaign to persuade Whitehall it should compensate men thrown out of work after the ‘cod wars’.’
- ‘The 1970s saw two ‘cod wars’: small coast guard vessels would cut the trawls of British trawlers, narrowly escaping larger British navy vessels.’’
- ‘The Icelanders didn't allow the demise of their fish stocks by foreigners, witness the cod war when they kicked us out of their waters.’
- ‘During the 1970s he spent several holidays serving on a supply ship during the Icelandic cod wars.’
- ‘On occasion, estate management involves the use of force, such as during the ‘cod wars’ of the North Atlantic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.