One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fairground sideshow where balls are thrown at coconuts in an attempt to knock them off stands.
- ‘There were lots of fun and games for both children and adults from the coconut shy and the death slide to a merry-go-round and a bouncy castle.’
- ‘The dancers performed in the central arena, surrounded by stalls varying from a lobster raffle to a coconut shy.’
- ‘Sideshows at the fête included bowling, fishing for ducks, a coconut shy, golfing and shooting ranges, and a lucky dip.’
- ‘There were also traditional children's games such as hula hoop, hook a duck, coconut shy and wellington throwing.’
- ‘A children's fancy dress parade kicked off the event, which also included a rugby challenge, wheelbarrow rides, donkey rides, face painting, a surfing machine and a coconut shy.’
- ‘There were also funfair treats and games, such as candyfloss and a coconut shy.’
- ‘There will also be a roundabout, coconut shy, water splash and railway rides.’
- ‘The funfair will boast around 40 miniature attractions, as well as sideshows and coconut shies.’
- ‘The children also took part in Victorian pastimes such as Throw the Horseshoe, a coconut shy, a tin can alley, marbles and hoop the duck.’
- ‘The team, surely, has another 1-10 in them but they understand what it's like to be treated like a coconut shy.’
- ‘It's like being in a coconut shy and having things thrown at you - being battered and buffeted.’
- ‘The event is to be an old-fashioned fair with coconut shies and hooplas rather than more modern games.’
- ‘A coconut shy, a welly-throwing competition and a selection of stalls selling cakes, drinks and bric-a-brac, all helped to make the day a memorable occasion.’
- ‘There was also a wide range of traditional sideshow attractions which included darts, hoopla and a coconut shy.’
- ‘In the coconut shy that is the government's e-strategy, the technology minister has tossed a 25 million computer training ball.’
- ‘Old English traditional pastimes such as skittles, a coconut shy and pony rides were on offer to the public alongside the more modern entertainments including bouncy castles and a football penalty shoot-out.’
- ‘The reverend from the church brought a bouncy castle and there were side shows, a coconut shy and indoor dancing throughout the afternoon.’
- ‘Away from the kiddie rides and the coconut shies, there's the House of Freaks or the burlesque show.’
- ‘The stall infuriated local traders and it is believed the same person renting the site in the park is also the owner of the controversial coconut shy.’
- ‘There were plenty of games, many of which had been made by the children themselves including a coconut shy, ball games and a tombola.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.