One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small pointed stick on which olives, cherries, or similar items of food may be served.
- ‘Our next workshop is on framing pictures with cocktail sticks, and you don't get much cheaper than that.’
- ‘Put a small stick through the centre (a used matchstick or a cocktail stick) so that it can spin easily and falls on one of the sides at random.’
- ‘Thread a cocktail stick with a nugget of chicken then a slice of onion, another nugget, another onion and finally finish with a piece of chicken.’
- ‘To make it harder, use a drinking straw and a cocktail stick.’
- ‘Place a half-slice of prosciutto on each escalope, put a sage leaf on top and fasten with a cocktail stick.’
- ‘It's amazing how versatile a tool a cocktail stick can be.’
- ‘Jack swung his legs beneath the table and continued to twist the cocktail stick protruding from the glass.’
- ‘Test to see they are ready by inserting a wooden cocktail stick into the centre of a cake; it should come out clean.’
- ‘Garnish with a cherry tomato on a cocktail stick and 2 thin-cut strips of fresh basil.’
- ‘Each item was skewered on a cocktail stick and laid like sun rays around the plate.’
- ‘In the first close-up shot, he only has one green olive on the cocktail stick.’
- ‘Nowadays, there are restaurants galore and more bars than you can shake a cocktail stick at.’
- ‘She was fiddling with her cocktail stick now, too.’
- ‘A heron glides over the rooftops, its legs sticking out behind like two cocktail sticks.’
- ‘My favorite is gin, with a dash of dry vermouth topped with stuffed green olives on a cocktail stick.’
- ‘The starting materials could not be simpler; a length of 5 / 16th inch diameter balsa dowel and a wooden cocktail stick.’
- ‘Skewer a set of olives onto a cocktail stick with the lemon peel twisted in between.’
- ‘Some even offered free samples to get me hooked, kind of like those people in supermarkets with tiny bits of pizza on cocktail sticks.’
- ‘Serve flat on a plate or skewered on a cocktail stick.’
- ‘I smiled at the so wonderfully traditional foods: mini sausage rolls, pickled onions on cocktail sticks, little triangular sandwiches, a cheese house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.