One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beetle-like scavenging insect with long antennae and legs. Several tropical kinds have become established worldwide as household pests.
Suborder Blattodea, order Dictyoptera: many genera and species, including the common cockroach (Blatta orientalis) and the American cockroach (Periplaneta americana)
- ‘Houseflies, mosquitoes and cockroaches are identified as the most common domestic insect pests.’
- ‘Vermin, mostly rodents and cockroaches, climbed out of the flooded gutters to seek refuge inside houses.’
- ‘Removing the space prevents cockroaches and other pests from residing in the dark corners.’
- ‘For example, if you put your hand in front of a cockroach, the insect will immediately turn and run in the opposite direction.’
- ‘The ants and the cockroaches have also begun to return; no longer is it safe to leave the cat food out on the back step.’
Early 17th century (as cacaroch): from Spanish cucaracha. The spelling change was due to association with cock and roach.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.