Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small upper loft under the ridge of a roof.
attic, loft, roof space, cock loftView synonyms
- ‘My coverage area is made up of mostly row homes with common cocklofts.’
- ‘There are common cocklofts, large areas, and myriad void spaces through which fire can travel.’
- ‘There are three reasons for unusually rapid fire spread in a cockloft of a multiple dwelling or row of stores.’
- ‘The fire swept through the halls of the second floor in the north wing of the school, and flashed through the cockloft above the classrooms.’
- ‘The fire extended rapidly to the exposures on the C-side of the building and started to run the cocklofts of the building.’
- ‘As more companies arrived and with the row of homes evacuated, crews began to extinguish the fire which roared across the backs and in the cocklofts.’
- ‘Heated fire gases and flame in a concealed space can travel upwards several floors and break out in a cockloft.’
- ‘The house comprised a kitchen, a little hall, lower parlour, pantry, two cellars, a hall above stairs, an upper parlour and four chambers with cocklofts above.’
- ‘The cockloft was accessible from the service area.’
- ‘Inside those parks are pavilions, stages, pagodas, cocklofts, mazes leading to quiet places, red flowers and green grasses.’
- ‘The cocklofts have mostly been converted in later times, but they are beautifully preserved in this house.’
- ‘Since poor people cannot afford the high rent prices, they have to jostle in bed-size apartments and partitioned rooms in the cocklofts of aged buildings.’
- ‘As the ceilings were pulled, fire was moving across the cockloft from the adjacent hardware store.’
- ‘You can push down ceilings out of reach of the standard 6 foot hook found in high cocklofts.’
- ‘Due to the height of the ceiling and the fact that there were double cocklofts, the decision was to mount a defensive fire fighting operation.’
- ‘All these wooden row houses had cocklofts - 3 to 4-foot attic spaces between the top apartment and the roof connected through rows of buildings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.