Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport (illegal in the UK and some other countries) of setting two cocks to fight each other.
- ‘But I hope they can see that it is an emotive topic, but one which is qualitatively different to cockfighting, bull-fighting or badger-baiting.’
- ‘Some women said they were turned off by his support for the bloody sport of cockfighting, an issue that was highlighted by ads from an animal rights group.’
- ‘Despite being illegal in Ireland, the blood sport of cockfighting still takes place in some parts of the country.’
- ‘I had invited a member of the animal rights group on to talk about cockfighting, of which I'm an advocate.’
- ‘Like circuses, cockfighting, and greyhound racing, frog jumping promotes the message that animals exist purely to entertain us.’
- ‘Gambling is popular among adults, but many traditional sports such as cockfighting have been banned.’
- ‘They live in Louisiana, Texas, and other surrounding states - where cockfighting is illegal.’
- ‘The stocky, pot-bellied man who wears a wide-brimmed hat made of palm leaves, admits cockfighting is brutal but says the roosters are born to fight.’
- ‘For men, cockfighting, partridge fighting, and pigeon flying (and betting on the outcome) are favorite pastimes.’
- ‘It appears morally equivalent to blood sports such as bearbaiting and cockfighting that have been illegal for some two centuries.’
- ‘The state senate is currently considering a bill that would toughen penalties for cockfighting and dog fighting.’
- ‘Some birds are smuggled into the U.S. for illegal cockfighting, while others supply specialty markets.’
- ‘Some tourist agencies even promote cockfighting!’
- ‘They are the kind of people who have little compassion for anything wild and are happy to participate in such pursuits as dogfighting and cockfighting.’
- ‘The statute cited as banning cockfighting is quite clear that it is illegal for spectators and vendors to appear.’
- ‘She is the director of the Humane Society campaign against animal cruelty and organized animal fighting, such as cockfighting.’
- ‘Other popular sports include horse racing and cockfighting.’
- ‘It isn't hard to guess that most westerners are appalled at the levels of violence and animal cruelty that go hand in hand with the sport of cockfighting.’
- ‘In both these cases, as with Devonshire wrestling, cockfighting or bull baiting, the sports had become less popular and/or illegal over the Victorian period.’
- ‘Do we have congressional support of an appropriations bill to crack down on illegal cockfighting and dogfighting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.