One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport (illegal in the UK and some other countries) of setting two cocks to fight each other.
- ‘It appears morally equivalent to blood sports such as bearbaiting and cockfighting that have been illegal for some two centuries.’
- ‘Some birds are smuggled into the U.S. for illegal cockfighting, while others supply specialty markets.’
- ‘The stocky, pot-bellied man who wears a wide-brimmed hat made of palm leaves, admits cockfighting is brutal but says the roosters are born to fight.’
- ‘The state senate is currently considering a bill that would toughen penalties for cockfighting and dog fighting.’
- ‘It isn't hard to guess that most westerners are appalled at the levels of violence and animal cruelty that go hand in hand with the sport of cockfighting.’
- ‘But I hope they can see that it is an emotive topic, but one which is qualitatively different to cockfighting, bull-fighting or badger-baiting.’
- ‘In both these cases, as with Devonshire wrestling, cockfighting or bull baiting, the sports had become less popular and/or illegal over the Victorian period.’
- ‘The statute cited as banning cockfighting is quite clear that it is illegal for spectators and vendors to appear.’
- ‘They live in Louisiana, Texas, and other surrounding states - where cockfighting is illegal.’
- ‘She is the director of the Humane Society campaign against animal cruelty and organized animal fighting, such as cockfighting.’
- ‘Gambling is popular among adults, but many traditional sports such as cockfighting have been banned.’
- ‘For men, cockfighting, partridge fighting, and pigeon flying (and betting on the outcome) are favorite pastimes.’
- ‘Some women said they were turned off by his support for the bloody sport of cockfighting, an issue that was highlighted by ads from an animal rights group.’
- ‘I had invited a member of the animal rights group on to talk about cockfighting, of which I'm an advocate.’
- ‘They are the kind of people who have little compassion for anything wild and are happy to participate in such pursuits as dogfighting and cockfighting.’
- ‘Despite being illegal in Ireland, the blood sport of cockfighting still takes place in some parts of the country.’
- ‘Do we have congressional support of an appropriations bill to crack down on illegal cockfighting and dogfighting.’
- ‘Some tourist agencies even promote cockfighting!’
- ‘Other popular sports include horse racing and cockfighting.’
- ‘Like circuses, cockfighting, and greyhound racing, frog jumping promotes the message that animals exist purely to entertain us.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.