One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is a whole lot more going on at these cockfights than just the cockfighting, although that in itself is bad enough.’
- ‘This festival combines church ceremonies with horse racing, bullfights, cockfights, and a spirited carnival.’
- ‘You can legally own a gamecock in 18 states and visit a cockfight as a spectator in nine.’
- ‘We'd have cockfights every Friday and Saturday night.’
- ‘Until about 1830, many Americans gambled in taverns and at cockfights, while gentlemen bet on horse races.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.