One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘We'd have cockfights every Friday and Saturday night.’
- ‘This festival combines church ceremonies with horse racing, bullfights, cockfights, and a spirited carnival.’
- ‘There is a whole lot more going on at these cockfights than just the cockfighting, although that in itself is bad enough.’
- ‘You can legally own a gamecock in 18 states and visit a cockfight as a spectator in nine.’
- ‘Until about 1830, many Americans gambled in taverns and at cockfights, while gentlemen bet on horse races.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.