One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender long-crested Australian parrot related to the cockatoos, with a mainly grey body, white shoulders, and a yellow and orange face.
- ‘Parrot fever is a bacterial disease that affects more than 100 species of wild and domestic birds, including parrots, macaws, cockatiels and parakeets.’
- ‘When the aviary was smashed, the parrots, cockatiels and lovebirds took flight.’
- ‘She is an aviculturist writer, editor, panel judge and speaker, and has raised cockatiels and parrots for more than 20 years.’
- ‘The bird sanctuary has been inundated with calls from people who have spotted cockatiels, budgies and parrots that have been released into the wild.’
- ‘At once, the cockatiel's grey feathers started to glow orangish-red.’
Late 19th century: from Dutch kaketielje, probably a diminutive of kaketoe ‘cockatoo’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.