One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A self-important man.
- ‘The main problem was the existence of more than 50 boards, commissions, and assorted entities of cockalorums with overlapping or competing functions.’
- ‘The professor could only be called a cockalorum because his diminutive size was only surpassed by his enormous ego.’
- ‘This is a legislature which repeatedly makes it appear as if the country is being governed by cockalorums and willful children.’
- ‘She is of the opinion that letting the cockalorums of the council dictate official policy is likely to get her killed.’
- ‘You'd hope that these cockalorums would be thrown out of office by the people who are the true sovereigns of this country.’
Early 18th century: an arbitrary formation from cock.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.