Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A single-celled marine flagellate that secretes a calcareous shell, forming an important constituent of the phytoplankton.
- ‘Diatoms and coccolithophores particularly are important sources of food for small aquatic predators.’
- ‘The brown algæ that produce tiny washer-shaped coccoliths are known as coccolithophores, and these also float in the upper section of the open seas.’
- ‘They're performing laboratory experiments with microscopic shell-building phytoplankton known as coccolithophores.’
- ‘Fossils of this group date back into the Jurassic, where they first become abundant, and some possible fossils of coccolithophores have been recovered from the Pennsylvanian.’
- ‘This satellite image of a coccolithophore bloom off the coasts of Cornwall and Brittany was taken on Wednesday.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.