One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cloakroom with an attendant.
- ‘She passed the cash register and coat check to enter the double doors of the main part of the club.’
- ‘I hope you find your boyfriend; he was over by coat check the last time I saw him’
- ‘The only redeeming factors are the view and the free coat check.’
- ‘Meaning that both the coat check and the auxiliary coat check were full, and so we had to carry our parkas.’
- ‘I took care of all the plants, and also worked the coat check during special events.’
- ‘All in all, I lost about $200 plus tips from not working at the coat check those four days.’
- ‘I walked to the coat check, determined to go home.’
- ‘When the song was over, they, too, quickly dropped their microphones and made their way to the coat check.’
- ‘I didn't say anything, leaving her at the bar as I made my way to the coat check.’
- ‘Supposedly, there was to be a second encore, but more than half of the bar had already made way to the coat check, so they scratched that idea.’
- ‘We were politely directed to the coat check and the drink tables - again, an impressive show of organization without attitude.’
- ‘Only one gripe - why do they charge you for the coat check when you are dining?’
- ‘Dominic knew without asking that was where Jocelyn wanted to go, so after leaving their belongings at the coat check, he led her into the ballroom.’
- ‘My only grizzle was with the lack of coat check facilities and unhelpfulness of the staff.’
- ‘He chuckled and said something about thinking I was the coat check girl.’
- ‘Indeed, they all admirably lent a hand when the bar and coat check were severely understaffed.’
- ‘He got his white puffy coat from the coat check and returned.’
- ‘The event was marred somewhat by the fact that I got all my money stolen out of my wallet at the coat check.’
- ‘We came inside with wet umbrellas and checked them with the coat check.’
- ‘I ended up having to sign some wretched form and explain to bouncers and grumpy coat check girls that I was with the press.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.