One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cloakroom with an attendant.
- ‘He got his white puffy coat from the coat check and returned.’
- ‘My only grizzle was with the lack of coat check facilities and unhelpfulness of the staff.’
- ‘I ended up having to sign some wretched form and explain to bouncers and grumpy coat check girls that I was with the press.’
- ‘I took care of all the plants, and also worked the coat check during special events.’
- ‘He chuckled and said something about thinking I was the coat check girl.’
- ‘Only one gripe - why do they charge you for the coat check when you are dining?’
- ‘Dominic knew without asking that was where Jocelyn wanted to go, so after leaving their belongings at the coat check, he led her into the ballroom.’
- ‘She passed the cash register and coat check to enter the double doors of the main part of the club.’
- ‘I didn't say anything, leaving her at the bar as I made my way to the coat check.’
- ‘The event was marred somewhat by the fact that I got all my money stolen out of my wallet at the coat check.’
- ‘Supposedly, there was to be a second encore, but more than half of the bar had already made way to the coat check, so they scratched that idea.’
- ‘The only redeeming factors are the view and the free coat check.’
- ‘I hope you find your boyfriend; he was over by coat check the last time I saw him’
- ‘I walked to the coat check, determined to go home.’
- ‘We were politely directed to the coat check and the drink tables - again, an impressive show of organization without attitude.’
- ‘Indeed, they all admirably lent a hand when the bar and coat check were severely understaffed.’
- ‘All in all, I lost about $200 plus tips from not working at the coat check those four days.’
- ‘When the song was over, they, too, quickly dropped their microphones and made their way to the coat check.’
- ‘We came inside with wet umbrellas and checked them with the coat check.’
- ‘Meaning that both the coat check and the auxiliary coat check were full, and so we had to carry our parkas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.