One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not elegant or delicate in appearance.
untidy, sloppy, scruffy, messy, dishevelled, slovenly, sluttish, slatternly, tousled, unkempt, frowzy, slipshod, bedraggled, down at heelView synonyms
- ‘There were several coarse-looking fellows in short jackets scattered about the courtyard.’
- ‘I saw that her mother's bread was heavy and coarse-looking.’
- ‘A coarse-looking woman was seated before a scanty fire.’
- ‘She had bought a little cake, and made a few coarse-looking sandwiches.’
- ‘They were what Claire would call a bit coarse-looking - suave businessmen they were not.’
- ‘It was a coarse-looking boat, in the form of a scow, and it was held in its place by a cable.’
- ‘A tall, coarse-looking man was sitting on a chair with dust-covered leather boots crossed on top of the desk.’
- ‘Finally, he looked up at a painting of a large coarse-looking woman and said, "Here's to you, Bertha."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.