One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not elegant or delicate in appearance.
untidy, sloppy, scruffy, messy, dishevelled, slovenly, sluttish, slatternly, tousled, unkempt, frowzy, slipshod, bedraggled, down at heelView synonyms
- ‘There were several coarse-looking fellows in short jackets scattered about the courtyard.’
- ‘She had bought a little cake, and made a few coarse-looking sandwiches.’
- ‘They were what Claire would call a bit coarse-looking - suave businessmen they were not.’
- ‘Finally, he looked up at a painting of a large coarse-looking woman and said, "Here's to you, Bertha."’
- ‘A coarse-looking woman was seated before a scanty fire.’
- ‘I saw that her mother's bread was heavy and coarse-looking.’
- ‘A tall, coarse-looking man was sitting on a chair with dust-covered leather boots crossed on top of the desk.’
- ‘It was a coarse-looking boat, in the form of a scow, and it was held in its place by a cable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.