One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not elegant or delicate in appearance.
untidy, sloppy, scruffy, messy, dishevelled, slovenly, sluttish, slatternly, tousled, unkempt, frowzy, slipshod, bedraggled, down at heelView synonyms
- ‘She had bought a little cake, and made a few coarse-looking sandwiches.’
- ‘Finally, he looked up at a painting of a large coarse-looking woman and said, "Here's to you, Bertha."’
- ‘A coarse-looking woman was seated before a scanty fire.’
- ‘A tall, coarse-looking man was sitting on a chair with dust-covered leather boots crossed on top of the desk.’
- ‘It was a coarse-looking boat, in the form of a scow, and it was held in its place by a cable.’
- ‘I saw that her mother's bread was heavy and coarse-looking.’
- ‘They were what Claire would call a bit coarse-looking - suave businessmen they were not.’
- ‘There were several coarse-looking fellows in short jackets scattered about the courtyard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.