One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extensive area containing a number of underground coal strata.
- ‘In the coalfields of the Appalachian Mountains, broomsedge dominates abandoned surface strip-mined areas, even after significant periods of time have elapsed since mining.’
- ‘The trust, set up in 1990 to safeguard the site, is leading a scheme to regenerate the former coalfield area.’
- ‘In the Heshan coalfield, all coals show a strong marine influence, as indicated by the very high organic sulphur contents in the coals.’
- ‘When these pictures were taken, the Lancashire coalfield boasted over 350 mines.’
- ‘It strikes back at the job losses experienced in the area's coalfields.’
- ‘Many of the coalfields are also in depressed areas.’
- ‘During the last three centuries coal from the Yorkshire coalfields has been one of the world's major sources of power.’
- ‘The trust will take over responsibility for projects under way to transform former coalfields to woodland and open areas, including 12 across the Yorkshire region.’
- ‘The coalfield was comparatively recent, however - mining only began there in 1983.’
- ‘But in one central place it took hold: in the great opencast coalfields of Kolubara, some 30 miles south of Belgrade, which provide the fuel to generate more than half of Serbia's electricity.’
- ‘The increasing impact of this group on national life was identified with dissenting religion and with rapid changes in manufacturing and industry, especially in the coalfield areas.’
- ‘People here know there is a lot of ill health in the coalfields area, but the extent of it shocked everyone.’
- ‘The bridge became redundant when the railway was diverted to avoid subsidence caused by the Selby coalfield.’
- ‘He was interested in the local rocks, and in 1791 set up for himself in the Somerset coalfield, where he was engaged in underground mine surveys and calculations of coal resources.’
- ‘Any subsidence in the Selby coalfield will be nothing like as bad, he says.’
- ‘When the mine closed he moved to the Nottingham coalfield and stayed down there.’
- ‘In the west are the Ruhr coalfields, while in the east there are large lignite deposits.’
- ‘Our argument is that the job situation in the coalfield areas is not as good as it looks from the figures.’
- ‘With no new mines anticipated for the northern section of the coalfield the port's commodity hinterland had effectively vanished.’
- ‘The union's refusal to defend jobs has left mining communities throughout the Appalachian coalfields in a depression-like state.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.