One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extensive area containing a number of underground coal strata.
- ‘Our argument is that the job situation in the coalfield areas is not as good as it looks from the figures.’
- ‘The increasing impact of this group on national life was identified with dissenting religion and with rapid changes in manufacturing and industry, especially in the coalfield areas.’
- ‘In the coalfields of the Appalachian Mountains, broomsedge dominates abandoned surface strip-mined areas, even after significant periods of time have elapsed since mining.’
- ‘People here know there is a lot of ill health in the coalfields area, but the extent of it shocked everyone.’
- ‘Many of the coalfields are also in depressed areas.’
- ‘The trust, set up in 1990 to safeguard the site, is leading a scheme to regenerate the former coalfield area.’
- ‘The trust will take over responsibility for projects under way to transform former coalfields to woodland and open areas, including 12 across the Yorkshire region.’
- ‘He was interested in the local rocks, and in 1791 set up for himself in the Somerset coalfield, where he was engaged in underground mine surveys and calculations of coal resources.’
- ‘But in one central place it took hold: in the great opencast coalfields of Kolubara, some 30 miles south of Belgrade, which provide the fuel to generate more than half of Serbia's electricity.’
- ‘Any subsidence in the Selby coalfield will be nothing like as bad, he says.’
- ‘In the west are the Ruhr coalfields, while in the east there are large lignite deposits.’
- ‘When the mine closed he moved to the Nottingham coalfield and stayed down there.’
- ‘In the Heshan coalfield, all coals show a strong marine influence, as indicated by the very high organic sulphur contents in the coals.’
- ‘It strikes back at the job losses experienced in the area's coalfields.’
- ‘The coalfield was comparatively recent, however - mining only began there in 1983.’
- ‘The bridge became redundant when the railway was diverted to avoid subsidence caused by the Selby coalfield.’
- ‘When these pictures were taken, the Lancashire coalfield boasted over 350 mines.’
- ‘The union's refusal to defend jobs has left mining communities throughout the Appalachian coalfields in a depression-like state.’
- ‘During the last three centuries coal from the Yorkshire coalfields has been one of the world's major sources of power.’
- ‘With no new mines anticipated for the northern section of the coalfield the port's commodity hinterland had effectively vanished.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.