One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metal container with a sloping lid used to carry coal for a domestic fire.
- ‘In the front room is a scattering of copper bowls of various sizes, copper coal scuttles, metal templates and copper sheets.’
- ‘Naturally it has the heritage decor that comes with the genre: dark wood, theatrical red, brazenly swirly carpets, brass coal scuttles and Quality Street faux Victoriana prints.’
- ‘But kids had much fun fighting over who was to wash-up, change napkins, make beds, peel spuds, run errands, chop firewood, fill the coal scuttle, and black lead the grate.’
- ‘The document listed coal scuttles, pokers, grates, and fenders, but only one set of andirons.’
- ‘Glad to read you won't have to fight with the coal scuttle anymore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.