One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The owner of a colliery.
- ‘The activity of the government and the employers - particularly the coal owners - from 1924-6 was designed to break militant trade unionism and worsen conditions for ordinary workers.’
- ‘A J Cronin's North Eastern drama depicts a conflict between young pitman Dave Fenwick and coal owner Richard Barras.’
- ‘Legend suggests, thanks to his forensic oratory, negligent coal owners and their managers were sent to prison.’
- ‘A Socialist, he stresses the need for coal owners to respect difficult working conditions, reward miners properly and ensure safety.’
- ‘But although, like many other liberals, he might have supported the miners against the coal owners, he was certainly not prepared to support the strikers against the government.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.