One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The owner of a colliery.
- ‘Legend suggests, thanks to his forensic oratory, negligent coal owners and their managers were sent to prison.’
- ‘The activity of the government and the employers - particularly the coal owners - from 1924-6 was designed to break militant trade unionism and worsen conditions for ordinary workers.’
- ‘But although, like many other liberals, he might have supported the miners against the coal owners, he was certainly not prepared to support the strikers against the government.’
- ‘A Socialist, he stresses the need for coal owners to respect difficult working conditions, reward miners properly and ensure safety.’
- ‘A J Cronin's North Eastern drama depicts a conflict between young pitman Dave Fenwick and coal owner Richard Barras.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.