One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An excavation in the earth for extracting coal.
- ‘One of his major enterprises was a coal mine.’
- ‘While methane in coal mines is responsible for unintentional explosions, it can be a substitute for natural gas.’
- ‘Methane is already captured from coal mines and landfills in the United States and used to generate electricity.’
- ‘The state-owned coal mine has more than 3,400 employees and produces 2.3 million tons of coal a year.’
- ‘The creek began running the color of old blood, poisoned by acids and heavy metals leached from the coal mines.’
- ‘Piles of black slag marked the entrances to small coal mines.’
- ‘A short distance from the coal mine, two rows of cramped houses face each other divided by a small dusty road.’
- ‘Two predatory chancers wander the casual labour markets in large towns and persuade individuals to accompany them to find work in unregulated coal mines.’
- ‘Gas power plants wiped out jobs in British coal mines.’
- ‘Following thousands of emigrants pouring into the United States and Canada, they settled in western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh's coal mines and steel mills.’
- ‘He was born in Ostrava, an industrial city six hours east of Prague, and grew up in the midst of its coal mines in a family of six children.’
- ‘The wind turbine will replace both the coal mine and the oil well.’
- ‘In the area where I live, there were generous redundancy payments when the coal mines closed.’
- ‘Official figures show that 4,153 people died from coal mine accidents from January to September.’
- ‘Jack, the elder, works at the coal mine and is admired by his pals for his defiant attitude.’
- ‘Coal production rose 9.1 percent as the country invested 86.1 percent more in coal mines.’
- ‘In addition to working in the Yorkshire mills, many Scotsmen found employment in nearby coal mines, where their dogs were welcome as exterminators.’
- ‘France closed its last coal mine in 2004.’
- ‘In Centralia, Pennsylvania, a fire in a coal mine has been burning for over 40 years.’
- ‘When Haessle was fourteen years old, he started to work in a coal mine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.