Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A mixture of gases (chiefly hydrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide) obtained by the destructive distillation of coal and formerly used for lighting and heating.→ town gas
- ‘They said people taking long baths in closed rooms risk coal gas poisoning from water heaters that consume large amounts of oxygen and produce carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.’
- ‘He is credited with inventing coal gas lighting, running a pipe into his front room at Redruth as early as 1792.’
- ‘The proposed site, a former coal gas factory, is located on the the Grand River waterfront in Galt's downtown core.’
- ‘On the frigid night of December 15, 1835, as children counted down to Christmas, coal gas leaked from a stove and ignited a five-story warehouse near the south waterfront.’
- ‘Blast furnace gas contains 25% carbon monoxide, and coal gas, which was used as a fuel in Europe up until North Sea gas became plentiful, contains 16%.’
- ‘During the last century, coal oil and coal gas were important sources of fuel for heating and lighting homes.’
- ‘The chandelier is original, was originally lit with coal gas and today is illuminated with natural gas.’
- ‘The tank was filled with coal gas, could run the car at normal speeds for an entire day, and a gauge wasn't needed as the driver could tell by the sagging how low he was on fuel.’
- ‘Notwithstanding their low cost, coal stations could be improved further by new techniques such as burners fed by coal gas, generated by multi-fluidised bed gasifiers.’
- ‘Remember, you can cook food and boil water maybe in five minutes via natural gas, while it may take up to 10 to 15 minutes via coal gas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.