One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of two or more individuals, companies, or institutions answering the same charge in a court of law.
- ‘There were five co-defendants in court on Monday facing charges in connection with an assault in Hampton in March.’
- ‘I'm sure my codefendants are discussing this with their lawyers.’
- ‘The court deferred sentencing until the trial of two additional codefendants is complete.’
- ‘Fourth, he did not think of the consequences of making a false confession either to himself or to his two co-defendants.’
- ‘However, the trial that ended yesterday is not the only one in which the two men are co-defendants.’
- ‘Four co-defendants were also sentenced to prison during the retrial.’
- ‘Today the disgraced star received a longer prison sentence than either of his co-defendants.’
- ‘The co-defendants in the trial received sentences ranging from two to five years imprisonment.’
- ‘The bill is also good for entrepreneurs, reformers say, because small businesses often get swept up as co-defendants in class-action suits.’
- ‘Five co-defendants were convicted for their roles in the attack.’
- ‘The guidance in the note is that such warning should not be given where co-defendants have given evidence against each other.’
- ‘Two co-defendants were also convicted of racketeering conspiracy charges, including murder.’
- ‘Two of the three co-defendants have been sentenced today.’
- ‘They wrapped up their case against the deposed president by asking a judge to sentence him to death along with two of his co-defendants.’
- ‘My attorney even tabulated the amount of drugs recorded on the wiretaps over the three-month period dealt by the dozens of co-defendants.’
- ‘And neither she nor her co-defendants wanted to destroy the State.’
- ‘Do not take into account against the two co-defendants his allegations of what he says he knows about them.’
- ‘The appellant and his co-defendants left at about 3 am.’
- ‘Those observations, of course, would have applied with equal force to the three co-defendants who had been sentenced earlier by the same judge.’
- ‘A Dorchester man and two codefendants were held on bail yesterday in an alleged armed robbery and hostage standoff Sunday on Wales Street.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.