One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of two or more individuals, companies, or institutions answering the same charge in a court of law.
- ‘My attorney even tabulated the amount of drugs recorded on the wiretaps over the three-month period dealt by the dozens of co-defendants.’
- ‘There were five co-defendants in court on Monday facing charges in connection with an assault in Hampton in March.’
- ‘And neither she nor her co-defendants wanted to destroy the State.’
- ‘Those observations, of course, would have applied with equal force to the three co-defendants who had been sentenced earlier by the same judge.’
- ‘The court deferred sentencing until the trial of two additional codefendants is complete.’
- ‘Two co-defendants were also convicted of racketeering conspiracy charges, including murder.’
- ‘Four co-defendants were also sentenced to prison during the retrial.’
- ‘They wrapped up their case against the deposed president by asking a judge to sentence him to death along with two of his co-defendants.’
- ‘Do not take into account against the two co-defendants his allegations of what he says he knows about them.’
- ‘I'm sure my codefendants are discussing this with their lawyers.’
- ‘The guidance in the note is that such warning should not be given where co-defendants have given evidence against each other.’
- ‘The bill is also good for entrepreneurs, reformers say, because small businesses often get swept up as co-defendants in class-action suits.’
- ‘Two of the three co-defendants have been sentenced today.’
- ‘Today the disgraced star received a longer prison sentence than either of his co-defendants.’
- ‘The appellant and his co-defendants left at about 3 am.’
- ‘However, the trial that ended yesterday is not the only one in which the two men are co-defendants.’
- ‘Five co-defendants were convicted for their roles in the attack.’
- ‘A Dorchester man and two codefendants were held on bail yesterday in an alleged armed robbery and hostage standoff Sunday on Wales Street.’
- ‘Fourth, he did not think of the consequences of making a false confession either to himself or to his two co-defendants.’
- ‘The co-defendants in the trial received sentences ranging from two to five years imprisonment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.