One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad plate at the front of an insect's head.
- ‘Antennae are placed midway between clypeus midpoint and lateral margin of head, projecting laterally along anterior margin of head.’
- ‘Their monophyly is undisputed, given the five elongate, stiff mouthpart elements forming a distinctive beak, and an enlarged clypeus.’
- ‘Reports that Achrysocharis species do not have a delimited clypeus are generally erroneous: the clypeus may or may not appear delimited based on the size and condition of the specimen.’
- ‘The under-surfaces of the labrum and clypeus constitute the epipharynx.’
- ‘Although the clypeus and labrum of Reboursia exhibit a sphaeromatoid shape, it has a broad separation between the antennular basal articles.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, literally ‘round shield’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.