One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slim, flat handbag without handles or a strap.
- ‘I have a small navy clutch bag that I use for church and other occasions when all the daily things such as credit card, shopping list and so on are not needed.’
- ‘And what better then this timeless black bag that can be worn as a clutch or a shoulder bag.’
- ‘A few minutes before our meals were served, I reached for my clutch to re-apply my lip gloss.’
- ‘After rifling through her clutch bag, she produced a crumpled letter written in an extremely neat hand.’
- ‘Her blonde friend was clad in a midnight blue velvet halter dress of a similar length to Silence's and she had a matching clutch bag.’
- ‘She spotted Callum and waved her clutch bag at him before approaching him.’
- ‘There are also sparkling clutches and colorful purses featured in the collection.’
- ‘She held her red clutch purse in her hands and after dropping her lipstick inside, she closed the latch.’
- ‘Just think of the everyday bag, the beach bag, the totally impractical evening clutch bag and the bag that can carry spare nappies and wipes.’
- ‘Instead of using a clutch purse, for example, select one with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘She said that the clutch bag contained her mobile phone and her ID, but fortunately she had her money and her keys in her pocket.’
- ‘Their product line, officially launched last year, ranges from cute little beaded evening clutches to sturdy messenger bags.’
- ‘On her feet she wore a pair of silver stilettos to match the beading on the dress' bodice and her clutch purse.’
- ‘Tucking her room key into her clutch purse, she started downstairs, but stopped abruptly at the bottom.’
- ‘‘I'm on the elevator… I'll see ya when I get down there’ I said as I hung up the phone and shoved it in the clutch bag.’
- ‘If you decide not to wear it, you can always slip the strap into the clutch bag itself.’
- ‘It doesn't have a camera and the features won't set the world on fire, but it is easy enough for your granny to use and small enough to slip into a clutch bag.’
- ‘Camilla could be seen somewhat nervously holding her clutch bag as she prepared to step from the car and make her grand entrance.’
- ‘Firstly, the evening bag or clutch bag must be small enough not to hinder dancing/mingling but big enough to hold the essentials for a night out.’
- ‘It is believed that he was sitting with family members in a special enclosure at the funeral when he is alleged to have stolen the items which were in a clutch bag that had been placed on a chair.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.