One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a hen) sitting or ready to sit on eggs.expecting a baby, having a baby, with a baby on the way, having a child, expectant, carrying a childView synonyms
- 1.1 (of a woman) broody.‘Mum's gone clucky’
- ‘He has now broken out of this first stage that seems to appeal exclusively to clucky women and mothers, and entered the much more interesting stage that appeals to dads.’
- ‘And every time she sees children she gets clucky.’
- ‘I've been getting ridiculously clucky lately.’
- ‘A warning to the ladies: Reading her blog will make you extremely clucky.’
- ‘Actually, I think if I'm honest with myself I know this will be my last baby and that's why I'm feeling clucky.’
- ‘Maybe the inevitable conversations about nappy rash and gripe water, far from making me clucky, will make me want to run out and have my tongue pierced and drink cider in the park.’
- ‘He just smiled and said, ‘Mummy's clucky, isn't she, sweetie.’’
- 1.1 (of a woman) broody.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.