One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sandwich consisting typically of chicken and bacon, tomato, lettuce, and dressing, with two layers of filling between three slices of bread.
- ‘I chose the club sandwich, with all its promisingly cholesterol-laden items and my friend the steak sandwich.’
- ‘I have not eaten a club sandwich in almost twenty years.’
- ‘I ate a club sandwich at a American-style chain restaurant, with a medium coke.’
- ‘The menu also offers lots of club sandwiches, burgers and pizzas.’
- ‘The menu comprises the encyclopaedia totalica of modern brasserie standards: potato wedges, fishcakes, club sandwiches, burgers, bangers and mash and a full complement of grilled fish for the ladies.’
- ‘The club sandwich consisted of tuna, egg, ham, cheese, and veggies between five slices of bread.’
- ‘I hate it when hotels make club sandwiches and because they use three slices of bread they reckon they can charge four times as much.’
- ‘The stack resembled something like a metal and paper club sandwich.’
- ‘She made tea for them while he rummaged through the fridge and pantry, turning his findings into a club sandwich.’
- ‘Three of the group ordered the club sandwich, which came out towering on the plate, due less to the amount of filling in the sandwich than to the super-thick cut of the homemade bread.’
- ‘But actually, he liked his Caesar salad and club sandwich.’
- ‘‘Excuse me,’ I say, attempting to remain calm, ‘do you not always serve mayonnaise automatically with your club sandwich?’’
- ‘I'm going to have the club sandwich with a garden salad.’
- ‘Individual plates, piled high with thick club sandwiches and crispy French fries, were passed round to everyone present.’
- ‘‘Please help me finish this food,’ he says when an enormous club sandwich is placed in front of him.’
- ‘I hate eating in my hotel room because it's always a club sandwich (on which I am now an international expert) and chips, but even more because I really hate the idea of missing out on something.’
- ‘Settling down I ordered a turkey club sandwich while my friend ordered a simple salad sandwich and tea for two.’
- ‘Stop in later in the day and the lunch menu includes club sandwiches and burgers served up with crisp fries.’
- ‘The chicken club sandwich had a grilled chicken breast, bacon and mayonnaise, and came with a crisp mesclun salad.’
- ‘He laughed, taking a bite out of his club sandwich.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.