One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A procedure in which a subject is asked to supply words that have been removed from a passage as a test of their ability to comprehend text.
- ‘The cloze test consists of a longer text of which every fifth to tenth complete word is left out.’
- ‘Following the above steps will allow you to create a cloze test that is maximally efficient for your particular group of students.’
- ‘The purpose of this study was to investigate the efficacy of administering a ‘spoken’ cloze test.’
- ‘Participants will have a hands-on session on the construction of modified cloze tests for comprehension, grammar, vocabulary and spelling.’
- ‘Multiple choice cloze tests provide the subjects with several possible items to choose from for each blank.’
- ‘Scores on the cloze tests were found to be positively related to other measures of program reading comprehension.’
- ‘This article reports an investigation comparing the empirical performance of a C-Test and a cloze test against the English Placement Test as a criterion measure.’
- ‘Used with due caution, the cloze test appears to be potentially helpful in detecting plagiarism.’
- ‘There is not much that can be said about the fifty cloze tests themselves beyond mentioning some of the usual English errors.’
1950s: cloze representing a spoken abbreviation of closure.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.