One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small tropical marine fish with bold vertical stripes or other bright coloration. It lives in close association with anemones and is protected from their stings by mucus.Also called anemone fish
- ‘The mystery behind the clownfish and sea anemone relationship is how the clownfish avoids being stung and killed by its host anemone.’
- ‘So, the protection of the anemone afforded by the clownfish is part of the mutual relationship.’
- ‘When a tomato clownfish brings food back to an anemone, the anemone is rewarded with crumbs from the meal.’
- ‘Among the damaged coral we saw free-swimming moray eels, octopuses, and several anemones with their resident clownfish.’
- ‘In that way the clownfish gets protection and attracts prey for the anemone, an example of symbiosis, or co-operation between different animals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.