One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A city in central California, in the San Joaquin Valley, north-east of Fresno; population 92,318 (est. 2008).
2An agricultural city in eastern New Mexico; population 32,352 (est. 2008). The Clovis culture of 11,000 years ago takes its name from artefacts found nearby.
(465–511), king of the Franks 481–511. He extended Merovingian rule to Gaul and Germany, making Paris his capital. After his conversion to Christianity he championed orthodoxy against the Arian Visigoths, finally defeating them in the battle of Poitiers (507).
usually as modifier A Palaeo-Indian culture of Central and North America, dated to about 11,500–11,000 years ago and earlier. The culture is distinguished by heavy leaf-shaped stone spearheads known as Clovis points.Compare with Folsom
- ‘The essential facts are that the Clovis hunting culture is no longer first and that the majority consensus in the profession is very different from the reviewer's.’
- ‘Nearly seventy years after excavations first revealed the Clovis big-game hunting culture, new sites and new dates in both North and South America are challenging Clovis's claim to priority.’
- ‘This Clovis culture was assumed to have lasted from about 12,000 BP (years before present) to about 10,000 BP.’
- ‘‘Clovis sites are really important,’ he said, referring to the Clovis people, who are said to have been the first group to colonize the plains of inner North America.’
- ‘The first people to enter the United States, passing southeast through Alberta from Alaska and the Yukon Territory, were the Clovis people who manufactured sophisticated stone tools.’
- ‘The archaeologists thus argue that the Clovis hunter should be exonerated as the cause of the North American extinctions.’
- ‘This would mean that a number of groups of people using early Paleolithic stone tools entered the New World at the same time as the Clovis people.’
- ‘How did people who were armed only with weapons of stone, antler, ivory, wood and sinew successfully hunt such beasts as mammoths in the Clovis phase or bison in the subsequent Folsom and Plano periods?’
- ‘The Clovis grave may be the oldest religious site in North America.’
- ‘Whether or not the Clovis culture turns out to represent the first Americans, they were the first people on this continent to develop weaponry that allowed them to go one-on-one against big, dangerous game.’
- ‘Despite such arguments, the Clovis culture model remained powerful.’
- ‘These findings, demonstrating that early South American prehistory predates Clovis culture, have led to the decline of the Clovis paradigm.’
1940s: remains were first found near Clovis in New Mexico.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.