One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nail with a large flat head, used chiefly for securing roofing felt.
- ‘The galvanised clout nails should be driven straight with the heads embedded just below the surface of the board.’
- ‘One or two original clout nails are banged into place to hold the seatboard in exactly the right position.’
- ‘Boards cut individually to fit the rafter spacings may be temporarily fixed to the battens using large headed clout nails.’
- ‘Proceed with fixing undertile membrane horizontally with clout nails, observing the recommended overlaps.’
- ‘The robust design of the head is particularly suitable for the application and will not break off under the strain of hammering as can be the case with ordinary clout nails.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.