Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A state of absurdly over-optimistic fantasy.‘anyone who believes that the Bill will be effective is living in cloud cuckoo land’
dream, daydream, pipe dream, flight of fancy, fanciful notion, wish, wishful thinkingView synonyms
- ‘And if anyone thinks the new leader is going to be different they're living in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘They are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they can transform the ugly concrete monstrosity into desirable homes.’
- ‘He warned: ‘We are in cloud cuckoo land if we think we are going to create overnight a police force that is accountable to the population.’’
- ‘It would be a huge step back to the past and anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘We have made it clear before that politicians who promise to abolish testing and assessment are living in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘I agree with him, let us get some ‘real’ people back in charge, not those in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘There will be no going back to year zero of this process - and anyone who thinks we can go back is living in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘We've got the hardest drinking youngsters in Europe and anyone who doesn't think that's storing up immense trouble for the future is living in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘Any politician who thinks last weekend's results are a bolt from the blue has been living in cloud cuckoo land.’
- ‘Anybody who says that isn't the case is living in cloud cuckoo land.’
Late 19th century: translation of Greek Nephelokokkugia, the name of the city built by the birds in Aristophanes' comedy Birds, from nephelē cloud + kokkux cuckoo.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.