One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The level or altitude of the lowest part of a general mass of clouds.
- ‘The night was clear, with a cloud base of 360 metres and visibility of 10 kilometres.’
- ‘With a low cloud base we would not get high, but the task was long.’
- ‘Air support by Allied aircraft was felt to be crucial to success and if a low cloud base prevented this then the enterprise was probably too risky.’
- ‘The forecast for today was especially good with very light winds and a high cloud base.’
- ‘Stratus that forms because of advection usually has a cloud base of around 1500 feet, and fog has its cloud base at the ground.’
- ‘Thanks to the two different air masses, I climbed about 400 m over the cloud base until 3300 m.’
- ‘Yesterday pilots were able to fly for about an hour after the low cloud base lifted and before the rain began.’
- ‘With the weather drying out a bit we are hoping for a high cloud base and light winds.’
- ‘I stayed high and made sure I got to cloud base, as I didn't care how long it took to get back to Quest.’
- ‘There are about thirty to forty pilots waiting around at cloud base and trying to stay out of each others way.’
- ‘On deck it's a grey day with the tip of Fair Isle ascending into a low cloud base, just visible through a light mist.’
- ‘The cloud base wasn't rising, which has been a problem for us so far this year.’
- ‘There is still nothing like being at cloud base in a hang glider.’
- ‘The lift got good and I flew around for an hour at cloud base checking to see if the glider would maintain a turn.’
- ‘He drifted out from the field at around 800 feet, found some lift, and took that to cloud base at 3,500 feet.’
- ‘So what happens when you have fog, or the cloud base is at ground level?’
- ‘I didn't fancy struggling up the peak, and the cloud base was even lower than earlier in the week so I went for two walks out from Pateley Bridge.’
- ‘The cloud base is low because like everywhere else we've been it's wet here.’
- ‘I was delighted and relieved that the weather was clear and the cloud base was high, so she could see for herself how lovely it is.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.