Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The last date by which something must be submitted for consideration, especially a job application.‘the closing date for applications is 1 December’
- ‘The closing date for booking is August 8 and seats will be reserved on a first come first served basis.’
- ‘There is no excuse for missing dates this year since Margaret went to the bother of sending out the closing dates with the events calendar.’
- ‘The club have advertised for the post and the closing date for applications was today.’
- ‘The closing date for receipt of inquiries on any of the above grant schemes is Friday, March 21.’
- ‘Once the closing date for applications has been specified it must be kept.’
- ‘Closing dates for university admission and closing dates for scholarship applications were different for each institution, as also the place from where you could get the application material.’
- ‘The closing date for entries in the local competitions is Friday, June 17.’
- ‘The closing date for receipt of applications for funding is Wednesday, October 19.’
- ‘With the closing date for applications looming, she came across the completed form and decided to post it.’
- ‘The next course starts shortly and the closing date for applications is August 6.’
- ‘You have less than a week to get your application form in before the closing date on 5 April.’
- ‘Any club athletes who wish to be entered in the above events should contact the secretary well in advance as the closing dates will be strictly adhered to.’
- ‘The closing date for receipt of information for next publication is Friday, August 22.’
- ‘The closing date for entries for the Children's Art competition is Friday 5th March.’
- ‘The closing date for membership money is February 29, which is fast approaching.’
- ‘All application forms should be fully completed and lodged with the awarding authority by the closing date.’
- ‘December 20 is the closing date for entries and January 5 is the closing date for application forms to be sent in.’
- ‘A reminder to readers that the closing date for tickets for the club's annual Dinner Dance is this Friday.’
- ‘He said the majority of teams always handed their entries in on the night of the closing date when the draw also takes place.’
- ‘The closing date is October 4 and applications will not be taken on the day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.