One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A play to be read rather than acted.
- ‘She composed several verse translations and is recognized as author of the closet drama The Tragedie of Mariam, ascribed to ‘E.C. ’, the first known play in English by a woman.’
- ‘Cotter's blank verse four-act play Caleb, the Degenerate is essentially closet drama, mainly of historical interest, as is the case with his other plays.’
- ‘After the ambitious Radio Days, Allen decided to attempt a closet drama in a style reminiscent of Ibsen.’
- ‘Written in a language which was not yet spoken, they were essentially closet dramas.’
- ‘In Browning's closet drama Pippa Passes, a young girl from the silk mills of Asolo hopes to improve everyone she encounters on her annual holiday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.